[openstack-dev] [neutron] stable/newton 'broken'

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 17:03:22 UTC 2016

On 24 November 2016 at 02:38, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

> Gary Kotton wrote:
> > Please see - http://logs.openstack.org/82/401882/1/check/gate-vmware-
> nsx-python27-db-ubuntu-xenial/1ac0686/console.html#_2016-11-
> 24_06_58_38_520273
> > Here we are pulling trunk as there is no stable version to use
>
> Is neutron stable/newton really broken (like your subject seems to
> indicate) ? Or only vmware-nsx stable/newton ? Since networking-l2gw and
> tap-as-a-service are unofficial projects we can't guarantee that they
> will create branches that match the official stable ones, so we should
> try to avoid depending on them if possible...

This happens because the referenced projects have no newton branch and the
consuming project's stable newton was pulling from the master branch (and
[1] is the hack referenced below). The right fix would be to backport [2],
create the stable branches of the projects to which vmware-nsx depends on
and set the branch appropriately. This is what the neutron team does for
the projects we look after.

This breakage was waiting to happen, and it just did.

[1]
https://github.com/openstack/vmware-nsx/commit/9a455781e4db9fc360c3264b72c381c91dfa6a15
[2]
https://github.com/openstack/vmware-nsx/commit/a951f5f9299ffdce268c54dc427a71706b8e41da