[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Ocata schedule and feature freeze

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Wed Nov 23 01:29:48 UTC 2016

Team,

During our weekly meeting, we found useful to send a recap about our
plans to release TripleO Ocata.

== Ocata cycle is *short*.
As a reminder, Ocata cycle is shorter than usual:
https://releases.openstack.org/ocata/schedule.html
Though we accepted a lot of blueprints for this cycle and we are quite
sure some of them won't make it on time.
We'll defer some blueprints to Ocata-3 if we feel like they won't be
implemented by December 12th. During Ocata-3, we'll tag some
blueprints at risk if we feel like they won't make it on time for
final release.

== Feature Freeze exception will be stricter.
At the end of Newton cycle, we accepted (too much) FFEs and we had
some critical stability issues during the release time. We don't want
that anymore.
Blueprints at risk for Ocata-3 will be deferred to Pike and we'll have
the lowest number of FFEs as possible (if not zero).
Instead of burning our time to add as many features as we can during
RC time, we'll rather work on bugfixes and stabilization, so we
improve our release quality.

== Breaking down blueprints
We notices some blueprints were not achievable in one cycle. Please
breakdown your blueprint if you feel like it's not doable in a cycle.
Set some dependencies (in Launchpad) so we can have some dependencies
and correctly schedule the work that needs to be done.
Basically, if your blueprint will be deferred to Pike, please consider
a split so we can have different iterations on the feature we want to
be done.

== Deadline for specs
Some TripleO specs are still under review, while they concern a
feature schedule for this cycle. We've not done a very good job in
reviewing specs on time but we might want to improve ourselves:
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/project:openstack/tripleo-specs+status:open
We decided to freeze Ocata specs for Ocata-2 (we will probably change
this limit in the next cycle to be pike-1?).

Please let us know any question or feedback.
Emilien Macchi