[openstack-dev] Fwd: Re: [requirements][kolla][security] pycrypto vs cryptography

Luke Hinds lhinds at redhat.com
Fri Nov 18 14:38:22 UTC 2016

Hi,

I missed this thread, so top posting with a related topic..

We discussed FIPS 140-2 yesterday in the OSSP irc meeting.

I recently tried running OpenStack on a FIPS 140-2 enabled kernel in
CentOS, and all of instances of MD5 use (mainly hashlib.md5) were rejected
resulting in the various python scripts bailing out with a stack trace. As
someone pointed out already, MD5 is considered weak, and does not meet the
FIPS list of secure crypto. I understand some projects might well use MD5
for non security related functions, but when it comes to government
compliance and running OpenStack on public clouds (and even private for the
Telcos / NFV), not meeting FIPS will in some cases block production getting
a green light, or at least make it a big challenge to push through.

With this in mind, perhaps all projects should seriously consider migrating
to more up to date methods such as sha256 or bcrypt, and start to
depreciate MD5 use.

I proposed raising bugs on launchpad for each instance discovered, so that
if anything, we at least have an idea of the extent of work needed to reach
the needed level of compliance for FIPS 140-2.

Thoughts welcome?

Luke

On Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 1:56 PM, Ian Cordasco <sigmavirus24 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Apparently Paul's email didn't make it through, so I'm forwarding it
> to y'all since it pertinent information.

Luke Hinds | NFV Partner Engineering | Office of Technology | Red Hat
e: lhinds at redhat.com | irc: lhinds @freenode | m: +44 77 45 63 98 84 | t: +44
12 52 36 2483