[openstack-dev] [magnum] Managing cluster drivers as individual distro packages
strigazi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 14:34:31 UTC 2016
In magnum, we implement cluster drivers for the different combinations
of COEs (Container Orchestration Engines) and Operating Systems. The
reasoning behind it is to better encapsulate driver-specific logic and to
operators deploy custom drivers with their deployment specific changes.
For example, operators might want to:
* have only custom drivers and not install the upstream ones at all
* offer user only some of the available drivers
* create different combinations of COE + os_distro
* create new experimental/staging drivers
It would be reasonable to manage magnum's cluster drivers as different
packages, since they are designed to be treated as individual entities. To
so, we have two options:
1. in-tree: remove the entrypoints from magnum/setup.cfg to not install
by default. This will require some plumbing to manage them like separate
packages, but allows magnum's development team to manage the official
inside the service repo.
2. separate repo: This option sounds cleaner, but requires more refactoring
will separate more the drivers from service, having significant impact in
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the OpenStack-dev