[openstack-dev] [git-upstream] [Additional Branches] How to view only commits applied since last import

Fri Nov 18 12:57:25 UTC 2016

On 17/11/16 12:47, Paul Bourke wrote:
> Hi Darragh / git-upstream community,

<snipped>

 My current understanding is we have a branch, that consists of a mixture
> of upstream commits from previous imports, and custom commits. We want
> to show a list of commits added since the last import. However, if those
> commits also contain commits from another non upstream branch, we want
> to exclude those? This makes sense with the example of say a packaging
> branch, but what if commits came from say a feature branch? Does it also
> make sense to ignore those?

Probably worth explaining additional branches a bit more in the docs
(where did I say that before?)

For any feature branch that is contributing to the tree and touching the
same files as the upstream project, definitely they should be included,
and git will do so by default.

The packaging branch item stems from when we were carrying packaging
related files that would never go upstream, and were actually from a
completely separate history with it's own root, and own upstream as we
did have some previously tracking ubuntu packaging repos to pull in the
packaging files from there.

However I think can regard the additional branches as just being an edge
case that if they get excluded from the listed output, it's not the
worst case.

If it makes sense down the road to include them, or just ensure
something is included about them, hopefully I'll have had a chat with
some more git experts and might know how to do so.

A quick off the top of my head guess.

Given the graph mentioned in the other email:

               A----
              /     \
-----M-------X---N---O  local/mitaka
    /           /
   /       X'---        (rebase/cherry-pick of X onto G)
  /       /
-E---F---G              upstream stable/mitaka branch

Adding '--not M..N^1' might do the right thing in only excluding a range
rather than everything behind it, though would need to check with a
scenario that if another commit existed between X and N, that this
wouldn't accidentally exclude A as well.

> Thanks in advance for anything that might help cut through some of the
> confusion.
>
> Cheers,
> -Paul

In any case, I think don't worry about the additional branches for now,
just let them be excluded, as they way they are merged in only works if
they are unrelated history. Since any feature branches wouldn't be
merged in this way, they would get included the same way any other
commit that is merged to the tree currently does, just that there will
be more of them listed.

--
Regards,
Darragh Bailey