[openstack-dev] [manila][cinder] [api] API and entity naming consistency

Ravi, Goutham Goutham.PachaRavi at netapp.com
Thu Nov 17 09:03:37 UTC 2016

On>  11/16/16, 8:22 PM, "Ben Swartzlander" <ben at swartzlander.org> wrote:

    > > On 11/16/2016 11:28 AM, Ravi, Goutham wrote:
    > > + [api] in the subject to attract API-WG attention.
    > >

    > > We already have a guideline in the API-WG around resource names for “_”
    > > vs “-“ -
    > > https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/api-wg/guidelines/naming.html#rest-api-resource-names
    > > . With some exceptions (like share_instances that you mention), I see
    > > that we have implemented – across other resources.
    > >
    > > Body elements however, we prefer underscores, i.e, do not have body
    > > elements that follow CamelCase or mixedCase.
    > >

    > > My personal preference would be to retain “share-” in the resource
    > > names. As an application developer that has to integrate with block
    > > storage and shared file systems APIs, I would like the distinction if
    > > possible; because at the end of the day, the typical workflow for me
    > > would be:
    > >
    > > -          Get the endpoint from the catalog for the specific version of
    > > the service API I want
    > >
    > > -          Append resource to endpoint and make my REST calls.
    > >

    > > The distinction in the APIs would ensure my code is readable. It would
    > > be interesting to see what the API working group prefers around this. We
    > > have in the past realized that /capabilities could to be uniform across
    > > services because it is expected to spew a bunch of strings to the user
    > > (warning: still under contention, see
    > > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/386555/) . However, there is a mountain
    > > of a difference between the underlying intent of /share-networks and
    > > neutron’s /networks resources.
    >
    > So you'd be in favor of renaming cinder's /snapshots URL to
    > /volume-snapshots and manila's /snapshots URL to /share-snapshots?
    >
    > I agree the explicitness is appealing, but we have to recognize that the
    > existing API has tons of implicitness in the names, and changing the
    > existing API will cause pain no matter how well-intentioned the changes are.

    No, I’m not in favor of renaming existing resources. I support the explicitness
    in some if not all manila resources, share-networks, share-metadata, share-servers,
    share-replicas. Renaming snapshots to /share-snapshots won’t fetch us much but
    frustration. To Valeiry’s original question, I support /share-groups and /share-group-types
    over /groups or /types. The roughly equivalent cinder resources are /groups and
   /group_types.