[openstack-dev] [neutron] neutron-lib impact

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 16:16:45 UTC 2016

On 16 November 2016 at 00:55, Gary Kotton <gkotton at vmware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The directory integration will break all of the plugins and neutron
> projects. I do not think that this is something that we should do. It
> breaks the neutron API contract.

The plugin directory is an implementation internal. Let's be very clear, in
case you have not realized this already:

*Neutron is not supposed to be imported directly by projects and we all
knew it when we started off with the project decomposition.*

neutron-lib is our response to driving adoption of stable interfaces across
the neutron ecosystem of repositories. Forcing ourselves to introduce
artificial deprecation cycles for internal details is not only slowing us
down but it has proven ineffective so far. We should accelerate with the
decoupling of projects so that we can all consider these types of breakages
a thing of the past.

> I think that we should only unblock the patch
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/386845. I think that due to the fact
> that this patch (very big) will break all plugins, we should only approve
> it once every sub project owner has chimed in.

This will mean that she/he will need to understand that there may be some
> tweaks involved in getting unit tests to pass. CI may automagically work.

This is impractical and defeats the point of allowing us to go faster. I
have taken the proactive step of announcing this change publicly and with
ample notice. I have addressed many subprojects myself and have already
seen +2/+1 flocking in. I have moved forward without creating busy work for
myself and the review team.

> I feel that as a core reviewer my responsibility is to make sure that we
> do not break things.

We are not in a sane situation. It's been two years since we split the repo
up and very little progress has been made to decouple the projects via
stable interfaces. I am trying to identify ways to allow us to accelerate
and you're stifling that effort with your abuse of core rights. I was not
going to let the patch merge without a final announcement at the next team
meeting.

> In addition to this we have a responsibility to ensure that things
> continue to work. Hopefully we can find a way to do this in a more friendly
> manner.

I have taken such a responsibility with [1]. It takes us longer to discuss
(on something that was already widely agreed on) than either fixing the
breakage or provide a 'fake' backward compat layer which we'll lead to the
breakage as soon we take it away [2].

That said, I am happy to concede if other members of the core team agrees
with you. As PTL, I have identified a gap that needs to be filled and I am
proactively stepping up to address the gap. I can't obviously be right all
the time, but I was under the impression I had the majority of the core
team on my side.

At this point, I'd invite other neutron core members to review and vote on
the patch.

A.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:plugin-directory
[2]  https://bugs.launchpad.net/vmware-nsx/+bug/1640319