[openstack-dev] [nova] Problem with Quota and servers spawned in groups

melanie witt melwittt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 00:50:59 UTC 2016

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016 18:10:40 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
> I'm in favor of your change, since the existing behaviour doesn't make
> sense.
>
> But at some point I guess consistency trumps correctness, and if a new
> microversion is necessary to mark the new behaviour then a spec is
> required, and at that point we might want to fix the other issues with
> multi-boot at the same time.  (Like
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1458122 )

I think what Sławek is saying is that the quota behavior for
multi-create already changed at some point in the past, without a spec.
He did experiments recently that show a multi-create request succeeds as
long as the min_count is satisfied when there isn't enough quota for
max_count. This is different than the behavior at the time you opened
the bug. So it seems the horse has left the barn on this one.

The patch Sławek has up right now aims to make the multi-create behavior
for server groups consistent with the present behavior of multi-create
for instances. I'm fine with that but I haven't spent the time to review
the change properly yet. And I also wanted to find out when the
multi-create behavior change and what commit changed it.

-melanie