[openstack-dev] [heat][tripleo] New repository for software-config elements

Steve Baker sbaker at redhat.com
Tue Nov 15 21:08:16 UTC 2016

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 10:26 PM, Thomas Herve <therve at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Historically elements to create images using software config were
> developed in the heat-templates repository, which turned out to mean
> that this had to be packaged, etc. Today we were asked if tags could
> be added to help maintaining the packages. Before we do that, I wonder
> if we should extract the elements in a different repository. We
> already have tests which are only applicable to this specific subset
> of the repo, so it shouldn't be too hard.
>
> In summary: let's create a new repository
> heat-software-config-elements, and move everything from
> hot/software-config/elements/ in the heat-templates repository to it
> (and the associated tests).
>
> Thoughts?

Yes, these have definitely outgrown their current home.

RDO already generates the following sub-packages from heat-templates:
python-heat-agent
python-heat-agent-puppet
python-heat-agent-ansible
python-heat-agent-apply-config
python-heat-agent-hiera

Therefore can I suggest we call the new repository "heat-agents"?

I do wonder about the usefulness of the diskimage-builder elements-based
directory layout, since image builders can just install the package. But I
suppose having elements will be useful for heat-agents CI jobs, and a more
appropriate layout doesn't occur to me currently.

Also we should consider if we want to retain the git history of these files
in the new repo - I'm in favour if its not too much effort and the
resulting history looks clean.