[openstack-dev] [Glance] [api] Community Images Impasse

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Tue Nov 15 16:58:52 UTC 2016

On 11/15/2016 10:35 AM, Brian Rosmaita wrote:
> Adding '[api]' to subject to get API-WG attention.
>
> On 11/15/16, 11:26 AM, "Ian Cordasco" <sigmavirus24 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> One of our priorities for Ocata-1 (whose deadline Glance has set for
>> 17 November 2016) is the Community Images work that has been discussed
>> now for several cycles and prioritized since the end of Newton.
>>
>> Like we often do in Glance, we've reached an impasse in the 11th hour.
>> To summarize, some of us are concerned about migrating the default
>> image visibility value to "shared" although it's semantically
>> equivalent to what we already have. At first the concern was that this
>> was not part of the spec (although, in my opinion it was a natural
>> conclusion of the spec) so Brian helpfully updated that here:
>> https://review.openstack.org/396919
>>
>> Some good points have been made about the confusion this might cause
>> among users if Glance 14.0.0 is released with the code like this. As
>> it stands, we have already approved much of this as a community and
>> committed to its completion. Nothing is set in stone, however, so
>> getting as much feedback on the updates to the spec as possible will
>> be very helpful in sorting this out efficiently.
>>
>> All of that said, Timothy Symanczyk has been leading this effort and
>> is being moved onto other work by his employer. We need to decide
>> whether or not to accept Timothy's work and build upon it, or have
>> someone take over the work from him. Timothy has been incredibly
>> responsive to review comments on the work itself
>> (https://review.openstack.org/369110) and I'd appreciate it if we
>> could respect that effort by being equally responsive in the
>> discussions on the spec review.
>>
>> Thank you in advance to everyone who can pitch in,

I'm usually the extremely vocal "don't ever break backwards compat"
person. However, I would like to say that the arguments for this change
make sense to me - and will not break any of the compat code I have out
there already.

For all intents and purposes, given the continued existence of both v1
and v2, the question users wind up having to ask generally is the equiv
of "is_public". The code in shade that does this is here:

http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/shade/tree/shade/_normalize.py#n182

(I have additional code coming to expose the new shared/community flags)

By no means am I the only consumer of these APIs - but to me, given all
of the other things, this one seems fine - and honestly the semantic
upgrade (now I can just upload an image without thinking about it and
then add new people to it without affecting a state transition) is the
type of experience I'd like as a user.

Monty