[openstack-dev] [tc][kolla] Ansible module with GPLv3

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Nov 14 18:23:17 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-14 11:11:09 -0500 (-0500), Zane Bitter wrote:
[...]
> I think the DCO process makes things much clearer though. It's
> quite easy to understand that contributions to an ASL2-licensed
> repo are ASL2 and contributions to a GPL-licensed repo are GPL.
[...]

Well, it bears pointing out that the only way we got BoD support for
using the DCO was based on an understanding that employed
contributors would be covered by separate Corporate Contributor
License Agreements[0] anyway. As for the text of the DCO[1], it can
quite easily be interpreted (and is my personal interpretation) that
you're agreeing your contributions fall under the same license as
claimed in each file to which you're contributing, and is not a
repository-wide statement of license at all.

> The TC has adopted an official policy that explicitly excludes
> both GPL code and code that imports GPL code from official
> repositories. If you think the policy is too conservative (and it
> is quite conservative) then you're on the TC... change it. Until
> then we don't need legal reasons to force us to follow our policy.
> It's our policy. That's enough.

Don't make the mistake of thinking I'm unaware. I completely agree
that we (the OpenStack contributor community) don't need legal
reasons to enforce a policy that we've ratified. My point was that
we're already taking a very fuzzy stance by special-casing "tools
that are run with or on OpenStack projects only during validation or
testing phases of development"[2] because it's become increasingly
evident that a strict position on this is unsustainable. This thread
brings another excellent example for where the status quo is failing
us, and provides an opportunity to evaluate its ramifications and
possible future adjustments (and what I expect will become a
never-ending list of exceptions unless we reevaluate our priorities
here).

[0] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/26Oct2015BoardMeetingMinutes
[1] http://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/developers.html#using-signed-off-by
[2] http://governance.openstack.org/reference/licensing.html