[openstack-dev] [tc][kolla] Ansible module with GPLv3

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Mon Nov 14 17:52:45 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Jeremy Stanley's message of 2016-11-14 17:26:49 +0000:
> On 2016-11-14 09:53:03 -0600 (-0600), Michał Jastrzębski wrote:
> [...]
> > We don't have any other project with multiple licenses in it? What
> > would LICENSE file in github show? Do we need to mention parts of
> > GPL there?
>
> We have plenty (I expect it may even be a majority) of repos
> containing files under different licenses, though I'm not aware of
> examples of one of our repos containing files under a mix of GPLv3
> and Apache License v2.0.
>
> A quick search for http://codesearch.openstack.org/?q=gpl&i=1 turns
> up the openstack/murano-apps repo which has content aggregated under
> a mix of Apache License v2.0, GPLv2 (inherited from Plone), GPLv3
> (from Clearwater), and GNU AGPLv3 (SugarCRM); it calls them out with
> separate LICENSE files in different subtrees. The openstack/vmtp
> repo has an aggregation of Apache License v2.0, BSD and GPLv2 files
> with some details in their README.rst explaining the situation. A
> number of Apache-licensed repos used to include a tools/rfc.sh
> script (copied from Horizon I think?) which claimed in its comment
> header to be distributed under GPLv3, though these seem to have been
> cleaned up in all non-retired repos more recently. The
> openstack/fuel-library repo has a dangerous-looking mix of Puppet
> modules under Apache License v2.0 and GPLv2 licenses, so probably
> not a shining example of how to go about this.
>
> Hopefully that provides a diverse cross-section of examples.

If nothing else, it shines light on the fact that some project teams may
not be practicing license oversight as much as the rest of us would like
them to.

This is not surprising to me, but it might be worth adding to review
guidelines.

http://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/developers.html#code-review

It's also entirely possible (shock!) that people haven't actually read
the CLA, by-laws, etc, and don't understand that they're not supposed
to mix these licenses together. Heck, even after this discussion, I'm
not really sure whether or not it's OK.