[openstack-dev] [all][infra][requirements] Odd cases in requirements?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Thu Nov 10 07:48:16 UTC 2016

On 10 November 2016 at 11:00, Tony Breeds <tony at bakeyournoodle.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 06:17:44AM +1300, Robert Collins wrote:
>> Sed doesn't exist on windows, whereas a python script can. Sed doesn't
>> handle multiple line constraints.
>
> I don't think that right now we care/handle multiline constraints but the
> windows think is important and not something I considered.

We generate multiline constraints whenever versions are different
between python 2 and 3 for the same package. That was happening when I
wrote the tool in the first place - it was one of the reasons I wrote
edit-constraints, to avoid writing silly-awkward sed. (A multiline
constraint when sedd'd will error with 'requirement already supplied'
or whatever the pip error string is.

> I think the way forward is to get openstack_requirements on pypi so we can just
> pip install openstack_requirements.
>
> That'd make the script simple and still retain the cross-platform'ness needed.

Yes. And/or do the long mooted refactoring to separate out the scripts
from the current constraints and requirements.

-Rob