[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] When are subnets needed on a network to create ports?

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 04:05:22 UTC 2016

On 8 November 2016 at 18:35, Matt Riedemann <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> I've been looking at this nova bug:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1637118
>
> And the neutronv2 API code in nova and need some help from the neutron
> team on how this should actually work.

If I am not mistaken [1] is what we'd need on the nova side.

As for neutron, we implemented [2], which can be leveraged by [1] in order
to implement the non-backward compatible behavior of lifting the constraint
check should a port be required without an address.

Mind you, I said port intentionally, meaning that even with [1], bug
1637118 would still manifest itself (in other words, it would be the
expected behavior). Booting off unaddressed VMs is an advanced use case and
as such it requires to boot by specifying the port ID.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/vm-without-l3-address
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/vm-boot-with-
unaddressed-port