[openstack-dev] [release] change in plan for releases repo data model updates

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Nov 8 17:28:28 UTC 2016

At the summit we said we would move the data that tells us the type
and release model for each deliverable out of the governance
repository and into the releases repository where it is easier to
change over time, but that we needed to think more about what might
break by making that change. After giving it more consideration, I
think we have to use the option 2 we discussed instead (allow local
values to override the global values).

The list-repos command would not be able to filter on the type or
model values early in a cycle because not enough deliverable files
would even exist until the first milestone. That limitation would
make the command essentially useless until close to the end of each
cycle. Using option 2 means list-repos would continue to work all the
time.

Using option 2 also means that instead of us having to do extra
work to build and publish a single unified file for the project
navigator team, they can continue to use the same input data without
changes to their project at all.

I propose adding "type" and "model" fields, as we discussed, but
making them optional. If they are not present, the values can be
derived from the governance tags for the deliverable. Teams who
want to change either value can then make the update in the releases
repository with a separate patch to update the governance repo, and
not have releases blocked by the governance change.

Thoughts?
Doug