[openstack-dev] [All] Finish test job transition to Ubuntu Xenial

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Mon Nov 7 21:48:46 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

The infra team would really like to get the Ubuntu Xenial for testing
transition completed early this cycle. We are planning to switch any
jobs that remain on Ubuntu Trusty but should be on Ubuntu Xenial on
December 6, 2016. That gives us about a month from today to more
gracefully migrate jobs while still getting it done early enough in the
cycle to fix any issues and put it behind us. Would be great for project
teams to test if their jobs run on Xenial and propose updates to
openstack-infra/project-config as necessary to switch to Ubuntu Xenial.

How can you do this? First double check your job logs to see where your
tests are running. The first few lines of your job console logs should
say "[Zuul] Building remotely on ubuntu-xenial" if running on Xenial.
Any changes to master should not run on Trusty and instead should run on
Xenial.

If you have jobs still running on trusty the next step is to fire up a
Xenial instance locally and run that test to see if it works. Usually
this will mean running the appropriate tox target or if using
devstack-gate you can grab the reproduce.sh script for that job and run
that script locally.

If everything works, then push a change to
openstack-infra/project-config. We have been using a job name suffix of
-ubuntu-xenial to indicate jobs should run on xenial. An example change
that does this can be found at [0].

If you run into failures hopefully you can iterate on them locally using
your Xenial test setup, get them fixed, then update the job location.

This work is important because it helps ensure that OpenStack functions
on more "modern" linuxes. We get shiny new things like newer versions of
libvirt and ovs. We also get to stop worrying about upstart.

As always I and the rest of the infra team are happy to help should you
have questions or concerns or just need eyeballs to help debug problems.

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/348078

Thank you
Clark