[openstack-dev] [Zun][Infra] Random internet disconnection in the gate

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Mon Nov 7 21:30:05 UTC 2016

On Mon, Nov 7, 2016, at 01:13 PM, Hongbin Lu wrote:
> Hi infra team,
>
> I am working on the Zun project and we experienced random failure within
> the gate. The error is as below:
>
>     2016-10-16 00:30:49.359 | ++
> /opt/stack/new/zun/devstack/lib/zun:install_etcd_server:316 :   curl -L
> https://github.com/coreos/etcd/releases/download/v3.0.7/etcd-v3.0.7-linux-amd64.tar.gz
> -o /opt/stack/new/zun/etcd/etcd-v3.0.7-linux-amd64.tar.gz
>     curl: (7) Failed to connect to github.com port 443: Connection timed
>     out
>
> By searching on logstach by using a query (message:"Failed to connect to
> github.com port 443: Connection timed out"), it looks all the failure
> were
> happening in node "ubuntu-*-osic-cloud1-*". Is that related to anything
> specific to the osic cloud?

OSIC is one of our ipv6 "only" clouds so connections going out to ipv4
only hosts (like github.com) have to go through a shared NAT set up. It
is possible that this is related to the problem.

We have also seen issues where conflicts with routing tables break
instances' ability to route packets to the router which performs NAT as
well. Double check that you aren't overriding the routes for 10.0.0.0/8
there.

And generally the Internet is an unreliable place. We don't consume our
git repos from github and instead mirror them ourselves, we also mirror
ubuntu, debian, and centos packages mirrors, and pypi package mirrors
and so on for this reason.

My suggestion would be to use the etcd pacakge out of the Xenial mirror
which should be far more reliable on any of our test hosts (mirrors are
cloud region local caches of distributed filesystems).

As a final note it is always tremendously helpful to provide at least
one example link to the job logs that experience problems when reporting
issues to the infra team. There is a lot of data collected which is
useful for debugging.

Clark