[openstack-dev] [neutron] Ocata End user and operator feedback recap

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Mon Nov 7 21:22:12 UTC 2016

Ocata End user and operator feedback recap

The purpose of this session was to gather feedback from end users and
operators to help direct the efforts of developers during (at least) the
Ocata cycle. Feedback was captured on the etherpad [1]. There was a related
session in the operators' track [2] which may also be of interest.

We began with a short discussion about client compatibility which was
deferred to the following session specifically about the client [3].

There was a discussion about if Neutron will implement cells like Nova has.
There is currently no plan. I have heard this come up for the past couple
of summits but there is little concrete evidence of the scale issues being
encountered by operators. If you are running Neutron at scale, we could use
more of your input.

There was some discussion about an issue around moving a floating ip from
one instance to another when keepalive is in use. We needed more
information to debug this. It should be sending a gratuitous arp. Another
keepalive issue was discussed. Too many SIGHUPs within a period of time can
cause failover resulting in disruption. I do not know if a bug was filed
for this to follow up. If this was you, please follow up with a link to the
bug report.

There was a short discussion about Horizon support for security groups on a
port. A bug was filed for this.

Finally, there was some discussion about enabling end users to create
Neutron L3 routers which are backed by hardware resources. There is no such
thing yet but Neutron does have a new concept in development called "L3
flavors". This would enable a driver (to be written) which would allow this
sort of thing.

Carl Baldwin

[1]
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ocata-neutron-end-user-operator-feedback