[openstack-dev] [glare] Few questions regarding OpenStack Glare

Elisha, Moshe (Nokia - IL) moshe.elisha at nokia.com
Mon Nov 7 12:13:41 UTC 2016

Hi,

My name is Moshe Elisha and I work at CloudBand, Nokia.
I watched "Glare - A Unified Binary Repository for OpenStack[1]" and it looks very nice and useful.

We are considering using Glare as a standalone artifacts repository.
We have two main use cases:

A.     Create a custom artifact_type which basically has one archive file (BLOB).

B.     Use "images" artifact type to store images.

I have a few questions that I couldn't find the answer for and I would appreciate it if you could please reply:

1.      What dependencies does Glare have on other OpenStack services? Is it only a dependency in Keystone?

2.      I saw that there is a way to implement a "validate_upload" hook. Is there a support for an async validation process (in case validation process is long)?

3.      Is there a way to define the "backend" used per artifact_type? For example, "heat_templates" will be stored on "File system" and "images" will be stored on "Ceph"?

4.      Were there talks about a "Database" backend? Probably only relevant for some artifact types.

5.      Disregarding the "backend" used - is there anything that prevents Glare from running in HA active/active mode?

6.      With regards to "backend" - which of the currently supported backends is preferable in order to achieve HA active/active mode?

7.      I noticed that there is a puppet-glare[2] project. Can you please share the status of that project?

8.      Is there any work being done for creating RPMs for glare?

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBtqdXciF4A
[2] https://github.com/openstack/puppet-glare
[3] https://github.com/openstack-packages

Thanks!