[openstack-dev] [requirements][kolla][security] pycrypto vs cryptography

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Sun Nov 6 16:37:33 UTC 2016

Dims,

Right I think I have heard pycrypto was dead, which sort of prompted the question.  Thanks for the response!

Regards,
-steve

From: Davanum Srinivas <davanum at gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, November 6, 2016 at 7:39 AM
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [requirements][kolla][security] pycrypto vs cryptography

Steve,

pycrypto is almost dead. The replacement is pycryptodome. BUT both
cannot be installed at the same time, so there is a struggle to get
all projects to work correctly with pycryptodome, Last i checked the
status was this:
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/requirements/tree/global-requirements.txt#n188

cryptography has been there in requirements since 2014:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/93794/

So, i'd support projects wanting to use cryptography directly.

fwiw, i don't see a claim to support FIPS-140-2 in cryptography:
https://cryptography.io/en/latest/development/test-vectors/
https://github.com/pyca/cryptography/tree/master/vectors/cryptography_vectors/asymmetric/ECDSA

Thanks,
Dims