[openstack-dev] [requirements][kolla][security] pycrypto vs cryptography

Davanum Srinivas davanum at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 14:39:54 UTC 2016

Steve,

pycrypto is almost dead. The replacement is pycryptodome. BUT both
cannot be installed at the same time, so there is a struggle to get
all projects to work correctly with pycryptodome, Last i checked the
status was this:
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/requirements/tree/global-requirements.txt#n188

cryptography has been there in requirements since 2014:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/93794/

So, i'd support projects wanting to use cryptography directly.

fwiw, i don't see a claim to support FIPS-140-2 in cryptography:
https://cryptography.io/en/latest/development/test-vectors/
https://github.com/pyca/cryptography/tree/master/vectors/cryptography_vectors/asymmetric/ECDSA

Thanks,
Dims