[openstack-dev] [tc][kolla] Ansible module with GPLv3

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Sat Nov 5 01:47:34 UTC 2016

Clint,

I disagree that modules (which are really plugins) must be licensed under GPLv3.  You may license any module code as you like (i.e. ASL2.0) and include it in a GPLv3 project via Ansible modules because the modules act as plugins.  The ASL2.0 license does taint, however, it does not matter.

We run Ansible via popen, which treats Ansible as a Network Service.  The reality is we don’t care if modules (which are really plugins as they are used in Kolla) taint.  The taint occurs during instation of the module (which PLUGS IN to Ansible during runtime), not as a fact of including the code in the repository.

From previous conversations with the BOD and TC, they don’t see a problem with this since Ansible runs as a network service, isolating the licensing concerns.

A thought experiment (with some turtles).  If Apache was licensed under GPLv3, would your viewing of their web content automatically make that web content and all their web software infrastructure for displaying content GPLv3?  Now dig a little further, and ask, would that make your entire operating system GPLv3?  Now dig a little further, would that make your workstation GPLv3?  Would that make you GPLv3 for viewing the content?  Are we all GPLv3?

That web content is analogous to an Ansible module.  The question I’d like you to answer if you would indulge me is “Where does the GPLv3 license end in this stream?”  Not as an attorney, but purely on technical grounds.  I know what the attorney’s say.

Please review the thread on the legal list for more background.

Regards
-steve