[openstack-dev] [oslo] New and next-gen libraries (a BCN followup)

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Fri Nov 4 23:30:46 UTC 2016

On 4 Nov 2016, at 7:50, Jim Rollenhagen wrote:

>>> Ironic and Nova both share a hash ring implementation currently
>>> (ironic-conductor and nova-compute driver for ironic). It would be sensible
>>> to reuse this implementation, oslo-ify it, and have that code shared.
>>>
>>> I question the value of re-implementing something like this from scratch
>>> though.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jay Faulkner
>>> OSIC
>>>

>> Right I don't think the intention would be to implement it from scratch, but
>> to do some basic analysis of what exists (and think about and document the
>> patterns), and try to find the common parts (which likely involves renaming
>> some specific nova/ironic methods from what I see); especially if we can get
>> swift to perhaps (TBD) also use and contribute to this library.
>
> As the person who copied that code into Nova, the Nova code is a strict subset
> of the Ironic code.
>
> Some of us talked to John Dickinson off-list, and it seems the Swift hash ring
> has very different use cases and very different implementation. I
> think we should
> focus on pulling the Nova/Ironic code out first, and then talking to
> Swift if we can
> also make it work for them (sounds like it's not helpful today).
>
> // jim

We had some great conversations last week face to face about this. The summary is that the "ring" in Ironic/Nova and the placement "ring" in Swift are vastly different in scope, requirements, and capabilities. I don't think it makes sense to try to unify them at this time.

As always, I'm available to talk further about this, if you want.

--John