[openstack-dev] [kolla] Propose removal of TrivialFix requirement

Swapnil Kulkarni coolsvap at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 12:48:49 UTC 2016

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 6:51 PM, Paul Bourke <paul.bourke at oracle.com> wrote:
> Kolleagues,
>
> How do people feel above removing the requirement of having TrivialFix in
> commit messages where a bug/bp is not required?
>
> I'm seeing a lot of valid and important commits being held up because of
> this, in my opinion, unnecessary requirement. It also causes friction for
> new contributers to the project.
>
> Are there any major benefits we're getting from the use of this tag that I'm
> missing?
>
> Cheers,
> -Paul

I feel TrivialFix is consistently used by people just to avoid going
to lanuchpad and filing a bug. It should only be used only if the "Fix
is Trivial"
This has been well documented in the contributing doc [1] and this
should be referred to people when they do not have the bug/bp in the
commit message.

If the commits are important then there is no harm in creating a
tracking bug for it.
It would take 1/30(I am just making highest time for a build/deploy
gate) amount of time you need to verify the (important)fix on gate.

[1] docs.openstack.org/developer/kolla/CONTRIBUTING.html