[openstack-dev] [neutron] Barcelona summit neutron-lib session recap
HenryG at gessau.net
Fri Nov 4 03:30:59 UTC 2016
Ocata neutron-lib session recap
- Speed up moving common code into neutron-lib
- Sub-project maintainers must keep up and should contribute
The session consisted of announcing the goals around speeding up the
neutron-lib work so that consuming projects can remove their dependency on
core neutron. No objections to the speed-up were raised during the session.
Updates to policies:
1) No more debtcollector deprecations on neutron core changes when adopting
neutron-lib code (unless it affects projects beyond those that integrate with
neutron). See below for details.
2) Provide unit test base classes and utils in neutron-lib (reverses previous
3) Spend more effort on rehoming code from neutron, less on tweaking what
is already in lib.
4) All stadium REST APIs must go in the api-ref.
The above will be detailed in the devref, but here is a summary:
1. No more deprecations
When a new version of neutron-lib is released the new features should be
adopted immediately by all consuming projects. One month after the release,
code will be removed from neutron core if it is available in neutron-lib.
**NOTE** This will break sub-projects that are not keeping up.
(No one at the session objected to this.)
As part of this effort we are requiring release notes in neutron-lib patches
that impact consuming projects.
2. Unit test framework
Base classes and utility functions will be provided. Some minor refactoring
for cleaner code-reuse will be needed. Base test classes for ml2 will also be
3. Rehome first, tweak later
Let's de-prioritize the tweaking of code already in neutron-lib until after
all the stadium projects have stopped importing neutron core.
3b. Shed technical debt
Rehoming ugly code will give us a ugly library. Some existing neutron code
needs to be refactored before being made available in neutron-lib.
4. Complete api-ref
All REST API extensions from stadium sub-projects must be documented in the
api-ref. The api definitions must also be added.
The existing api-ref update work will continue. We encourage developers to
look for discrepancies and propose fixes.
The following items were not addressed:
- Not enough core reviewer attention in neutron-lib.
- Config options in neutron-lib. There is an email thread about this.
More information about the OpenStack-dev