[openstack-dev] [all][dev][python] constructing a deterministic representation of a python data structure

gordon chung gord at live.ca
Thu Nov 3 19:08:57 UTC 2016

On 03/11/16 02:24 PM, Amrith Kumar wrote:

> So, just before calling call() or cast(), I could compute the hash and
> stuff it into the dictionary that is being sent over, and I can do the
> same on the receiving side. But since I cannot guarantee that the
> representation on the receiving side is necessarily identical to the
> representation on the sending side, I have issues computing the hash.

based on description, you're trying to sign the messages? there was some
effort done in oslo.messaging[1]

we do something similar in Ceilometer to sign IPC messages[2]. it does
add overhead though.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/205330/
[2]
https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/blob/ffc9ee99c10ede988769907fdb0594a512c890cd/ceilometer/publisher/utils.py#L43-L58