[openstack-dev] [oslo] New and next-gen libraries (a BCN followup)

Joshua Harlow harlowja at fastmail.com
Thu Nov 3 19:04:20 UTC 2016

Jay Faulkner wrote:
>> On Nov 3, 2016, at 11:27 AM, Joshua Harlow<harlowja at fastmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Just as a followup from the summit,
>>
>> One of the sessions (the new lib one) had a few proposals:
>>
>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ocata-oslo-bring-ideas
>>
>> And I wanted to try to get clear owners for each part (there was some followup work for each); so just wanted to start this email to get the thoughts going on what to do for next steps.
>>
>> *A hash ring library*
>>
>> So this one it feels like we need at least a tiny oslo-spec for and for someone to write down the various implementations, what they share, what they do not share (talking to swift, nova, ironic and others? to figure this out). I think alexis was thinking he might want to work through some of that but I'll leave it for him to chime in on that (or others feel free to also).
>>
>> This one doesn't seem very controversial and the majority of the work is probably on doing some analysis of what exists and then picking a library name and coding that up, testing it, and then integrating (pretty standard).
>>

> Ironic and Nova both share a hash ring implementation currently (ironic-conductor and nova-compute driver for ironic). It would be sensible to reuse this implementation, oslo-ify it, and have that code shared.
>
> I question the value of re-implementing something like this from scratch though.
>
> Thanks,
> Jay Faulkner
> OSIC

Right I don't think the intention would be to implement it from scratch,
but to do some basic analysis of what exists (and think about and
document the patterns), and try to find the common parts (which likely
involves renaming some specific nova/ironic methods from what I see);
especially if we can get swift to perhaps (TBD) also use and contribute
to this library.

-Josh