[openstack-dev] [keystone][tripleo][ansible][puppet][all] changing default token format

Alex Schultz aschultz at redhat.com
Thu Nov 3 14:23:15 UTC 2016

Hey Steve,

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 8:11 AM, Steve Martinelli <s.martinelli at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a heads up to some of keystone's consuming projects, we will be changing
> the default token format from UUID to Fernet. Many patches have merged to
> make this possible [1]. The last 2 that you probably want to look at are [2]
> and [3]. The first flips a switch in devstack to make fernet the selected
> token format, the second makes it default in Keystone itself.
>
> [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:make-fernet-default
> [2] DevStack patch: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/367052/
> [3] Keystone patch: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/345688/

Thanks for the heads up. In puppet openstack we had already
anticipated this and attempted to do the same for the
puppet-keystone[0] module as well.  Unfortunately after merging it, we
found that tripleo wasn't yet prepared to handle the HA implementation
of fernet tokens so we had to revert it[1].  This shouldn't impact
anyone currently consuming puppet-keystone as we define uuid as the
default for now. Our goal is to do something similar this cycle but
there needs to be some further work in the downstream consumers to
either define their expected default (of uuid) or support fernet key
generation correctly.

Thanks,
-Alex

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/389322/