[openstack-dev] [Ceilometer]: Instance creation and deletion metrics in ceilometer !

Maxime Belanger mbelanger at internap.com
Thu Nov 3 11:53:29 UTC 2016

Hi Emilien,

We had this project of our own for a couple years and it was not meant to replace Ceilometer at all. For our billing use case, yes it did replace Ceilometer because scaling issues. We just wanted to propose it to the community as a matter of sharing knowledge.

This system just collects events that we/you care about and store them as a stream so you could reuse them later (in our case billing). And by the way Almanach doesn't do billing at all. You could even plug it to Cloud Kitty as a data source if you want.

So currently I'm not sure there is a project that does the same thing in Telemetry unless I'm mistaken. Yes there was Ceilometer, but for reason of api performance issue when hitting a huge DB with a lot of historic data. It was not scalling at all. Right now, not sure where Ceilometer is going in terms of dev and there is Aodh, but from what I read, it's for alerting purposes.

So now you know the "Why we are here now"...

Max