[openstack-dev] [mistral] Ocata summit summary

Renat Akhmerov renat.akhmerov at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 07:41:41 UTC 2016

Hi,

I’d like to share the summary of activities happened in Barcelona around Mistral.

============= Presentations =============

1. Building Self-healing Applications with Aodh, Zaqar and Mistral

https://www.openstack.org/videos/video/building-self-healing-applications-with-aodh-zaqar-and-mistral <https://www.openstack.org/videos/video/building-self-healing-applications-with-aodh-zaqar-and-mistral>

It gives pretty interesting info on how to use Mistral in conjunction with other technologies like Aodh (alarming system)
and Zaqar to build something useful.

2. Nokia: TOSCA & Mistral: Orchestrating End-to-End Telco Grade NFV

https://www.openstack.org/videos/video/nokia-tosca-and-mistral-orchestrating-end-to-end-telco-grade-nfv <https://www.openstack.org/videos/video/nokia-tosca-and-mistral-orchestrating-end-to-end-telco-grade-nfv>

This is a quick introduction into Mistral (I believe from a slightly different angle than before) and the detailed description
of one of the main Mistral use cases that we have at Nokia CloudBand.

============= Fishbowl =============

http://www.slideshare.net/DmitriZimine/mistral-and-stackstorm <http://www.slideshare.net/DmitriZimine/mistral-and-stackstorm>

We had a very very cool fishbowl this time. Thanks a ton to Dmitri Zimine!
Dmitri was talking about Mistral and StackStorm and his vision of the industry regarding workflow based automation,
value of workflows and possible strategies on how StackStorm and Mistral can become more seamless in the future.

============= Design Sessions =============

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/mistral-barcelona-summit-topics-2016 <https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/mistral-barcelona-summit-topics-2016>

Although we had only 2 design sessions (my fault, I should have asked more), we were able to discuss lots of technical
topics during them and the contributors meetup that we had Friday afternoon.

I won’t be repeating here everything what’s in the etherpad but summarizing it I would say that we’re now finally taking a
course on making Mistral more consumable. For example, we have a bunch of plans on how to improve our documentation
(better structure, more examples and cookbooks). We are also willing to fix our actions subsystem which is now not very
mature, to be honest. Specifically, it applies to how we write actions and what’s available in Mistral code base to help with
this, test coverage of OpenStack actions is now very basic and requires a more solid approach. We’re making big steps
now towards it. Generally, I have to admit that actions is one of our biggest problems now because existing OpenStack
actions often go out of sync with underlying APIs and a lot of new people start getting familiar with Mistral exactly by
trying workflows with OpenStack actions, so those workflows often simply don’t work and that makes an impression that
Mistral doesn’t work. Although the core Mistral functionality is now pretty robust and performant. We need to improve it
asap (as a matter of fact, yesterday).

Any feedback or comments on what we’re doing in Mistral are very welcome!

Thanks

Renat Akhmerov
@Nokia