[openstack-dev] [neutron] proposal to resolve a rootwrap problem for XenServer

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Nov 2 17:15:51 UTC 2016

Jianghua Wang wrote:
> Is Neutron ready to switch oslo.rootwrap to oslo.privsep?

You'll have to ask neutron-core for an updated status... I think it's
ready, but as I mentioned in my other email the current review
introducing it is currently stalled.

> Oslo.privsep seem try to launch a daemon process and set caps for this daemon; but for XenAPI, there is no need to spawn the daemon. All of the commands to be executed are sent to the common dom0 XAPI daemon (which will invoke a dedicated plugin to execute the commands). So I'm confused how to apply the privileged.entrypoint function. Could you help to share more details? Thanks very much.

I guess I'm lacking some context... If you don't need special rights,
why use a rootwrap-like thing at all ? Why go through a separate process
to call into XenAPI ? Why not call in directly from Neutron code ?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)