[openstack-dev] [all][release] Release announcements

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Nov 2 16:33:51 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

In Barcelona the release team has been discussing how to improve release
announcements. Posting them on openstack-dev (for libs) and
openstack-announce (for main services) has proven to be pretty noisy,
especially for projects which publish lots of components, like OpenStack
Puppet or OpenStack Ansible. This actively discouraged people to follow
openstack-announce, which was really not the goal.

At the same time, we can't just stop making announcements. Some people
(especially on the downstream side) still want to receive release
announces. And we still want to archive a trace of the release and
provide a starting point for discussing immediate issues on a given
release, especially for libraries.

The proposed solution is to create a specific mailing-list for OpenStack
release announcements (proposed name is "release-announces") where we'd
post the automated release announcements. Only the release bot and
release managers would be able to post to it. The "reply-to" field would
be set to openstack-dev, in case someone wanted to start a thread about
a given release. By default, it would be set to send in daily digest
mode, to reduce noise and encourage people to subscribe to it.

The -announce list would get back to low-noise, and be limited to
highly-important announcements (one email for the final release, emails
about events, elections...).

Please let us know if you have comments or questions. We'll start
implementing this plan next week if no objection is raised.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)