[openstack-dev] [manila] Relation of share types and share protocols

Arne Wiebalck Arne.Wiebalck at cern.ch
Wed Nov 2 12:52:23 UTC 2016

> On 02 Nov 2016, at 11:52, Tom Barron <whuisit at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 11/02/2016 06:23 AM, Arne Wiebalck wrote:
>> Hi Valeriy,
>>
>> I wasn’t aware, thanks!
>>
>> So, if each driver exposes the storage_protocols it supports, would it
>> be sensible to have
>> manila-ui check the extra_specs for this key and limit the protocol
>> choice for a given
>> share type to the supported protocols (in order to avoid that the user
>> tries to create
>> incompatible type/protocol combinations)?
>
> Not necessarily tied to share types, but we have this bug open w.r.t.
> showing only protocols that are available given available backends in
> the actual deployment:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/manila-ui/+bug/1622732

Thanks for the link, Tom.

As mentioned, I think linking protocols and types would be helpful to guide users
during share creation. So, as an intermediate step, how about extending this patch
by having protocol/type(s) tuples (rather than only protocols) in the UI config file for
Manila and fill the menus in the UI accordingly?

And for a more complete solution, I was wondering if it wouldn't be possible to go
over the available share types, extract the supported storage_protocols, and use
these for the protocol pull down menu (and limit the type selection to the ones
supporting the protocol selected by the user). This would avoid that operators have
to keep the UI config and the Manila config in sync.

Cheers,
 Arne

>> Thanks again!
>> Arne
>>

>>> On 02 Nov 2016, at 10:00, Valeriy Ponomaryov <vponomaryov at mirantis.com
>>> <mailto:vponomaryov at mirantis.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello, Arne
>>>
>>> Each share driver has capability called "storage_protocol". So, for
>>> case you describe, you should just define such extra spec in your
>>> share type that will match value reported by desired backend[s].
>>>
>>> It is the purpose of extra specs in share types, you (as cloud admin)
>>> define its connection yourself, either it is strong or not.
>>>
>>> Valeriy
>>>
>>> On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Arne Wiebalck <Arne.Wiebalck at cern.ch
>>> <mailto:Arne.Wiebalck at cern.ch>> wrote:
>>>
>>>    Hi,
>>>
>>>    We’re preparing the use of Manila in production and noticed that
>>>    there seems to be no strong connection
>>>    between share types and share protocols.
>>>
>>>    I would think that not all backends will support all protocols. If
>>>    that’s true, wouldn’t it be sensible to establish
>>>    a stronger relation and have supported protocols defined per type,
>>>    for instance as extra_specs (which, as one
>>>    example, could then be used by the Manila UI to limit the choice
>>>    to supported protocols for a given share
>>>    type, rather than maintaining two independent and hard-coded tuples)?
>>>
>>>    Thanks!
>>>     Arne
>>>
>>>    --
>>>    Arne Wiebalck