[openstack-dev] [nova] About doing the migration claim with Placement API

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Wed Nov 2 08:26:08 UTC 2016

Le 01/11/2016 15:14, Alex Xu a écrit :
> Currently we only update the resource usage with Placement API in the
> instance claim and the available resource update periodic task. But
> there is no claim for migration with placement API yet. This works is
> tracked by https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1621709. In newton, we
> only fix one bit which make the resource update periodic task works
> correctly, then it will auto-heal everything. For the migration claim
> part, that isn't the goal for newton release.

To be clear, there are two distinct points :
#1 there are MoveClaim objects that are synchronously made on resize
(and cold-migrate) and rebuild (and evacuate), but there is no claim
done by the live-migration path.
There is a long-standing bugfix https://review.openstack.org/#/c/244489/
that's been tracked by https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1289064

#2 all those claim operations don't trigger an allocation request to the
placement API, while the regular boot operation does (hence your bug
report).

> So the first question is do we want to fix it in this release? If the
> answer is yes, there have a concern need to discuss.

I'd appreciate if we could merge first #1 before #2 because the
placement API decisions could be wrong if we decide to only allocate for
certain move operations.