[openstack-dev] [FaaS] Function as a service in OpenStack

Lingxian Kong anlin.kong at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 02:20:45 UTC 2016

Hi, all,

Recently when I was talking with some customers of our OpenStack based
public cloud, some of them are expecting to see a service similar to AWS
Lambda in OpenStack ecosystem (so such service could be invoked by Heat,
Mistral, Swift, etc.).

Coincidently, I happened to see an introduction of OpenWhisk project by IBM
guys in Barcelona Summit. The demo was great and I was much more exsited to
know it was opensourced, but after checking, I feels a little bit
frustrated, most of the core part of the code was written in Scala so it
sets a high bar for me (yeah, I'm using Python) to learn and understand.

So I came here to ask if there are people who are interested in serverless
area as me or have the same requirements as our customers? Does it deserve
a new project complies with OpenStack rules and conventions? Is there any
chance that people could join together for the implementation?

Cheers,
Lingxian Kong (Larry)