[openstack-dev] [tripleo][infra][deployment] Adding multinode CI jobs for TripleO in nodepool

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Tue May 31 21:04:28 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 6:12 PM, Steve Baker <sbaker at redhat.com> wrote:
> This raises the possibility of an alternative to OVB for trying/developing
> TripleO on a host cloud.
>
> If a vm version of the overcloud-full image is also generated then the host
> cloud can boot these directly. The approach above can then be used to treat
> these nodes as pre-existing nodes to adopt.
>
> I did this for a while configuring the undercloud nova to use the fake virt
> driver, but it sounds like the approach above doesn't interact with nova at
> all.

Correct, the nodes could come from anywhere. They could be prelaunched
instances on an OpenStack cloud, or any cloud for that matter. I in
fact tested this out on the Rackspace public cloud by just launching 3
vanilla Centos instances, installed an undercloud on one, and then
used the other 2 for the overcloud.

> So I'm +1 on this approach for *some* development environments too. Can you
> provide a list of the changes?

This is the primary patch to tripleo-heat-templates that enables it to work:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/222772/

And a couple of other patches on the same topic branch:
https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:deployed-server

--
-- James Slagle