[openstack-dev] [glance] Focus for week R-18 May 30-June 03

Nikhil Komawar nik.komawar at gmail.com
Mon May 30 16:30:41 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Thanks for the feedback offline and indicating that I need to clear my
intent on why this email was sent.

This email was intended primarily to the Glance team to know more about
what the release plans look like as not everyone is able to attend the
meetings and it's near to impossible to keep everyone in the loop,
ad-hoc, on when I intend to work on release stuff.

I guess, I should have mentioned that I am putting my release-liaison
hat on, for establishing the awareness tone of this email. It wasn't a
directive to the team rather a call for partnership to adhere to the
timeline proposed. The purpose is -- People are welcome to contribute
but are not forced to do so; at the same time people may want to know
about the dates to target their bugs/reviews accordingly and help
prioritize the work. Also, as reviews are merged the gate may sometimes
become unstable where the team will benefit from knowing that such
possibility is at hand and something to watch out for.

Part of this email specific to the releases was from 'a release liaison
role'  and I do apologize for missing out on adding that info in the
email. It is more of a plan for me that other are welcome to join in and
all non-mandatory help on this front is greatly appreciated.

May be the title also can be changed a bit to indicate that it is a
awareness and focus email that indicates focus of subset of individuals
(of course, OpenStack is a community so great number of things are
non-mandatory :-) ).

I am sorry if this has been hurtful to some.

On 5/29/16 9:50 PM, Nikhil Komawar wrote:
> Hi team,
>

> The focus for week R-18 is as follows:
>

> * Mon, part of Tues: Reviews that look good enough to be merged and
> suitable for newton-1 release, any reviews that help fixing important
> bugs or those that possibly need further testing later in the release.
> Please keep any eye on the gate to ensure things are in place. I plan to
> propose a review for newton-1 release tag (a bit early) on Tuesday May
> 31st. Last few days, I have pushed quite a few reviews that looked clear
> enough to be merged. Now, we need to merge reviews (if there are any)
> that people are motivated enough to get them ready for newton-1.
>
> * rest of Tues, Wed: Reviews that help us get a good store and client
> release. As discussed in the meeting [1], I plan to 'propose' a store
> and a client release tag later in the week (possibly on late Wednesday
> or on Thursday). I want Glance team to be ready from the release
> perspective, the actual release will happen whenever release team gets a
> chance; given R-18 is general release week, they look less likely then.
>
> * Fri: Reviews on glance-specs, see if the author has followed up on
> your comments, see which reviews look important to give a early
> indication to the author that the spec is not likely to be accepted for
> Newton if we do not deem it fit during our discussions at
> spec-soft-freeze of June 17, R-16 [2].
>

> Please be mindful that Monday May 30th is a federal holiday [3] in the US so you may see folks (across OpenStack) OOO. However, I will be available on Monday.
>

> Reference for the week numbers:
> http://releases.openstack.org/newton/schedule.html
>

> (unlike some of my emails meant to be notices, this email is okay for discussion)
>

> As always, feel free to reach out for any questions or concerns.
>

> [1] http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/glance/2016/glance.2016-05-26-14.03.log.html#l-88
> [2] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-May/094780.html
> [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day

Nikhil