[openstack-dev] [tripleo][manila] Moving forward with landing manila in tripleo

Marios Andreou marios at redhat.com
Mon May 30 08:48:18 UTC 2016

On 27/05/16 22:46, Rodrigo Barbieri wrote:
> Hello Marios,

Hi Rodrigo, thanks very much for taking the time, indeed that clarifies
quite a lot:

> The Data Service is needed for Share Migration feature in manila since the
> Mitaka release.
>
> There has not been any work done yet towards adding it to puppet. Since its
> introduction in Mitaka, it has been made compatible only with devstack so
> far.

I see so at least that confirms I didn't just miss it at puppet-manila
... so that is a prerequisite really to us being able to configure and
enable manila-data in tripleo and someone will have to look at doing that.

> I have not invested time thinking about how it should fit in a HA
> environment at this stage, this is a service that currently sports a single
> instance, but we have plans to make it more scallable in the future.
> What I have briefly thought about is the idea where there would be a
> scheduler that decides whether to send the data job to m-dat1, m-dat2 or
> m-dat3 and so on, based on information that indicates how busy each Data
> Service instance is.
>
> For this moment, active/passive makes sense in the context that manila
> expects only a single instance of m-dat. But active/active would allow the
> service to be load balanced through HAProxy and could partially accomplish
> what we have plans to achieve in the future.

OK thanks, so we can proceed with a/p for manila-share and manila-data
(one thought below) for now and revisit once you've worked out the
details there.

> I hope I have addressed your question. The absence of m-dat implies in the
> Share Migration feature not working.

thanks for the clarification. So then I wonder if this is a feature we
can live w/out for now, especially if this is an obstacle to landing
manila-anything in tripleo. I mean, if we can live w/out the Share
Migration Feature, until we get proper support for configuring
manila-data landed, then lets land w/out manila data and just be really
clear about what is going on, manila-data pending etc.

thanks again, marios