[openstack-dev] [tripleo][manila] Moving forward with landing manila in tripleo

Rodrigo Barbieri rodrigo.barbieri2010 at gmail.com
Fri May 27 19:46:37 UTC 2016

Hello Marios,

The Data Service is needed for Share Migration feature in manila since the
Mitaka release.

There has not been any work done yet towards adding it to puppet. Since its
introduction in Mitaka, it has been made compatible only with devstack so
far.

I have not invested time thinking about how it should fit in a HA
environment at this stage, this is a service that currently sports a single
instance, but we have plans to make it more scallable in the future.
What I have briefly thought about is the idea where there would be a
scheduler that decides whether to send the data job to m-dat1, m-dat2 or
m-dat3 and so on, based on information that indicates how busy each Data
Service instance is.

For this moment, active/passive makes sense in the context that manila
expects only a single instance of m-dat. But active/active would allow the
service to be load balanced through HAProxy and could partially accomplish
what we have plans to achieve in the future.

I hope I have addressed your question. The absence of m-dat implies in the
Share Migration feature not working.

Regards,

Rodrigo Barbieri
Computer Scientist