[openstack-dev] [tripleo][infra][deployment] Adding multinode CI jobs for TripleO in nodepool

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Fri May 27 18:37:50 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 2:03 PM, James Slagle <james.slagle at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been working on various patches to TripleO to make it possible
> for the baremetal provisioning part of the workflow to be optional. In
> such a scenario, TripleO wouldn't use Nova or Ironic to boot any
> baremetal nodes. Instead it would rely on the nodes to be already
> installed with an OS and powered on. We then use Heat to drive the
> deployment of OpenStack on those nodes...that part of the process is
> largely unchanged.
>
> One of the things this would allow TripleO to do is make use of CI
> jobs using nodes just from the regular cloud providers in nodepool
> instead of having to use our own TripleO cloud
> (tripleo-test-cloud-rh1) to run all our jobs.
>
> I'm at a point where I can start working on patches to try and set
> this up, but I wanted to provide this context so folks were aware of
> the background.
>
> We'd probably start with our simplest configuration of a job with at
> least 3 nodes (undercloud/controller/compute), and using CentOS
> images. It looks like right now all multinode jobs are 2 nodes only
> and use Ubuntu. My hope is that I/we can make some progress in
> different multinode configurations and collaborate on any setup
> scripts or ansible playbooks in a generally useful way. I know there
> was interest in different multinode setups from the various deployment
> teams at the cross project session in Austin.
>
> If there are any pitfalls or if there are any concerns about TripleO
> going in this direction, I thought we could discuss those here. Thanks
> for any feedback.

It is more a question than a concern:
are we still going to test baremetal introspection with Ironic
somewhere in OpenStack?

I like the way it goes but I'm wondering if the things that we're not
going to test anymore will still be tested somewhere else (maybe in
Ironic / Nova CI jobs) or maybe it's already the case and then stop me
here.

--
Emilien Macchi