[openstack-dev] [tripleo][infra][deployment] Adding multinode CI jobs for TripleO in nodepool

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Fri May 27 18:03:24 UTC 2016

I've been working on various patches to TripleO to make it possible
for the baremetal provisioning part of the workflow to be optional. In
such a scenario, TripleO wouldn't use Nova or Ironic to boot any
baremetal nodes. Instead it would rely on the nodes to be already
installed with an OS and powered on. We then use Heat to drive the
deployment of OpenStack on those nodes...that part of the process is
largely unchanged.

One of the things this would allow TripleO to do is make use of CI
jobs using nodes just from the regular cloud providers in nodepool
instead of having to use our own TripleO cloud
(tripleo-test-cloud-rh1) to run all our jobs.

I'm at a point where I can start working on patches to try and set
this up, but I wanted to provide this context so folks were aware of
the background.

We'd probably start with our simplest configuration of a job with at
least 3 nodes (undercloud/controller/compute), and using CentOS
images. It looks like right now all multinode jobs are 2 nodes only
and use Ubuntu. My hope is that I/we can make some progress in
different multinode configurations and collaborate on any setup
scripts or ansible playbooks in a generally useful way. I know there
was interest in different multinode setups from the various deployment
teams at the cross project session in Austin.

If there are any pitfalls or if there are any concerns about TripleO
going in this direction, I thought we could discuss those here. Thanks
for any feedback.

--
-- James Slagle