[openstack-dev] [Nova] Abandoned old code reviews

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri May 27 10:41:23 UTC 2016

On 05/27/2016 05:36 AM, Michael Still wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've spent some time today abandoning old reviews from the Nova queue.
> Specifically, anything which hadn't been updated before February this
> year has been abandoned with a message like this:
>
> "This patch has been idle for a long time, so I am abandoning it to keep
> the review clean sane. If you're interested in still working on this
> patch, then please unabandon it and upload a new patchset."
>
> Why do this? Abandoning the reviews means that Nova reviewers can focus
> on things where the author is still actively working on the code.
> Additionally, it makes it clearer which bugs are currently being worked.
>
> Additionally, unabandoning a review is a fairly cheap operation, so
> please let me know if I need to do that anywhere.
>
> We should probably abandon more patches than those before February, but
> I got bored at this point. I'll probably abandon more later.
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

We have a script in tree that can be run by any core team member -
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/c69afd454b41e2e8fc3496ff56b986342f547064/tools/abandon_old_reviews.sh#L2

It tries to describe the policy, which is basically things with no
activity in the last 4 weeks, and has a -2 or a Jenkins -1 on it.

The biggest issue here is the procedural -2s that don't tend to lift
right away after release (which is probably a mistake, we should only
really use procedural -2s during freeze windows). Feel free to modify
accordingly.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague