[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Languages vs. Scope of "OpenStack"

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri May 27 08:34:51 UTC 2016

Ed Leafe wrote:
> On May 25, 2016, at 7:25 AM, Denis Makogon <lildee1991 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Correct me if i'm wrong, none of the messages above were stating about support Go-extensions for Python (C extensions were mentioned couple times). Starting Go v1.5 it is possible to develop extension for Python [1] (lib that helps to develop extensions [2])
>
> No, you’re not wrong at all.
>
> This is much more in the original spirit for dealing with the inevitable issues where Python just doesn’t cut it performance-wise. The idea was to do everything in Python, and where there was a bottleneck, write a C module for that function and integrate it using ctypes.
>
> So could someone from the Designate team do the following: isolate the part(s) of the process where Go kicks Python’s butt, create small Go packages to handle them, and then use gopy to integrate it? I think there would be little or no controversy with this approach, as it’s much less disruptive to the overall community.

Yes, this is a variant on the "external dependency" approach that would
address most of the community fragmentation concerns by keeping the
optimized parts small and Python-driven.

I could see that working for Designate's MiniDNS (and other partial
optimizations), but I'm not sure that would work in the Hummingbird
case, where all the node is rewritten in Go. If we mandated that
approach, that would probably mean a lot of rework there...

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)