[openstack-dev] [Neutron] support of NSH in networking-SFC

Kyle Mestery mestery at mestery.com
Wed May 25 21:39:16 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Armando M. <armamig at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 25 May 2016 at 13:31, Elzur, Uri <uri.elzur at intel.com> wrote:
>>
>> Kyle
>>
>> Thx for your comment. I think these are orthogonal discussions. The heart
>> of this one, for me, and in the Neutron context, is plotting a road forward
>> on new technologies INDEPENDENT of external (even if related) open source
>> projects. I like Armando's direction.
>>
>> The best of my understanding (granted, limited) is that the OvS official
>> position is not supportive of gpe and NSH as long as the Linux Kernel
>> doesn't have them. So we are in a nice little spiral for >2 years, which is
>> really long time if we want to have a reasonable pace of new technology
>> adoption
>>

> It would be nice to understand what the concerns are and how to resolve them
> in order to try and find a path where things can be reconciled later on.
> Technology adoption will always be hindered by the potential risk of dealing
> with fork down the road.

Fundamentally, I think we just need to draw a hard line in the sand
that we won't be testing things in the gate which carry patches for
downstream components. Once these things land in the kernel and OVS,
they can easily be supported upstream. We've done this for OVS
features for years. Uri is bringing an argument to the wrong place,
IMHO.