[openstack-dev] [puppet] proposal about puppet versions testing coverage

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Wed May 25 19:09:18 UTC 2016

Greating folks,

In a recent poll [1], we asked to our community to tell which version
of Puppet they were running.
The motivation is to make sure our Puppet OpenStack CI test the right
things, that are really useful.

Right now, we run unit test jobs on puppet on 3.3, 3.4, 3.6, 3.8, 4.0
and latest (current is 4.5).
We also have functional jobs (non-voting, in periodic pipeline), that
run puppet 4.5. Those ones break very often because nobody (except
me?) regularly checks puppet4 periodic jobs.

So here's my proposal, feel fee to comment:

* Reduce puppet versions testing to 3.6, 3.8, 4.5 and latest (keep the
last one non-voting). It seems that 3.6 and 3.8 are widely used by our
consumers (default in centos7 & ubuntu LTS), and 4.5 is the latest
release in the 4.x series.
* Move functional puppet4 jobs from experimental to check pipeline
(non-voting). They'll bring very useful feedback. It will add 6 more
jobs in the check queue, but since we will drop 2 unit tests jobs (in
both check & gate pipelines), it will add 2 jobs at total (in term of
time, unit tests jobs take 15 min and functional jobs take ~30 min) so
the impact of node consumption is IMHO not relevant here.

[1] https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1rJZxP52LyrFhFTy8w4J_5tnA7-A5g32YVhHSaCd7-F8/edit#responses

Thanks for your feedback,
--
Emilien Macchi