[openstack-dev] [kuryr][magnum]Installing kuryr for mutlinode openstack setup

Antoni Segura Puimedon toni+openstackml at midokura.com
Wed May 25 10:54:36 UTC 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Jaume Devesa <devvesa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Akshay,

> On Wed, 25 May 2016 10:48, Akshay Kumar Sanghai wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have a 4 node openstack setup (1 controller, 1 network, 2 compute
> nodes).
> > I want to install kuryr in liberty version. I cannot find a package in
> > ubuntu repo.
>
> There is not yet official version of Kuryr. You'll need to install using
> the
> current master branch of the repo[1] (by cloning it, install dependencies
> and
> `python setup.py install`

 Or you could run it dockerized. Read the "repo info" in [2]

We are working on having the packaging ready, but we are splitting the
repos first,
so it will take a while for plain distro packages.

> > -How do i install kuryr?
> If the README.rst file of the repository is not enough for you in terms of
> installation and configuration, please let us know what's not clear.
>
> > - what are the components that need to be installed on the respective
> > nodes?
>
> You need to run the kuryr libnetwork's service in all the nodes that you
> use as
> docker 'workers'

and your chosen vendor's neutron agents. For example, for MidoNet it's
midolman, for ovs it would be the neutron ovs agent.

> > - Do i need to install magnum for docker swarm?
>
> Not familiar with Magnum.. Can not help you here.

If you want to run docker swarm in bare metal, you do not need Magnum. Only
keystone and Neutron.

You'd put docker swarm, neutron and keystone running in one node, and then
have N nodes with docker engine, kuryr/libnetwork and the neutron agents of
the vendor of your choice.

> > - Can i use docker swarm, kubernetes, mesos in openstack without using
> > kuryr?

You can use swarm and kubernetes in OpenStack with Kuryr using Magnum. It
will
use neutron networking for providing nets to the VMs that will run the
swarm/kubernetes
cluster. Inside the VMs, another overlay done by flannel will be used (in
k8s, in
swarm I have not tried it).

> What will be the disadvantages?

The disadvantages are that you do not get explicit Neutron networking for
your containers,
you get less networking isolation for your VMs/containers and if you want
the highest
performance, you have to change the default flannel mode.

 [2] https://hub.docker.com/r/kuryr/libnetwork/