[openstack-dev] [Openstack-operators] [nova] Is verification of images in the image cache necessary?

Dan Smith dms at danplanet.com
Tue May 24 15:54:05 UTC 2016

> I like the idea of checking the md5 matches before each boot, as it
> mirrors the check we do after downloading from glance. Its possible
> thats very unlikely to spot anything that shouldn't already be worried
> about by something else. It may just be my love of symmetry that makes
> me like that idea?

IMHO, checking this at boot after we've already checked it on download
is not very useful. It supposes that the attacker was kind enough to
visit our system before an instance was booted and not after. If I have
rooted the system, it's far easier for me to show up after a bunch of
instances are booted and modify the base images (or even better, the
instance images themselves which are hard to validate from the host side).

I would also point out that if I'm going to root a compute node, the
first thing I'm going to do is disable the feature in nova-compute or in
some other way cripple it so it can't do its thing.

--Dan