[openstack-dev] [nova] Is verification of images in the image cache necessary?

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Tue May 24 11:26:43 UTC 2016

On Tue, 24 May 2016, Matthew Booth wrote:

> I understand that corruption of bits on disks is a thing, but it's a thing
> for more than just the image cache. I feel that this is a problem much
> better solved at other layers, prime candidates being the block and
> filesystem layers. There are existing robust solutions to bitrot at both of
> these layers which would cover all aspects of data corruption, not just
> this randomly selected slice.

Completely agree that this a problem that is better solved by other
tools in a more generic fashion. The presence of the feature in
OpenStack code adds unnecessary cruft and load for artificial value:
it doesn't actually protect against the problem in any real way.

--
Chris Dent               (╯°□°)╯︵┻━┻            http://anticdent.org/