[openstack-dev] [all][oslo_config] Improving Config Option Help Texts

Erno Kuvaja ekuvaja at redhat.com
Tue May 24 11:04:35 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Based on the not yet merged spec of categorized config options [0] some
project seems to have started improving the config option help texts. This
is great but I noticed scary trend on clutter to be added on these
sections. Now looking individual changes it does not look that bad at all
in the code 20 lines well structured templating. Until you start comparing
it to the example config files. Lots of this data is redundant to what is
generated to the example configs already and then the maths struck me.

In Glance only we have ~120 config options (this does not include
glance_store nor any other dependencies we pull in for our configs like
Keystone auth. Those +20 lines of templating just became over 2000 lines of
clutter in the example configs and if all projects does that we can
multiply the issue. I think no-one with good intention can say that it's
beneficial for our deployers and admins who are already struggling with the
configs.

So I beg you when you do these changes to the config option help fields
keep them short and compact. We have the Configuration Docs for extended
descriptions and cutely formatted repetitive fields, but lets keep those
off from the generated (Example) config files. At least I would like to be
able to fit more than 3 options on the screen at the time when reading
configs.

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/295543/

Best regards,
Erno "jokke_" Kuvaja