[openstack-dev] [all][tc] Languages vs. Scope of "OpenStack"

Erno Kuvaja ekuvaja at redhat.com
Tue May 24 00:07:50 UTC 2016

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 12:28 AM, Gregory Haynes <greg at greghaynes.net>
wrote:

> On Mon, May 23, 2016, at 05:24 PM, Morgan Fainberg wrote:
>

> On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 2:57 PM, Gregory Haynes <greg at greghaynes.net>
> wrote:
>
> On Fri, May 20, 2016, at 07:48 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> > John Dickinson wrote:
> > > [...]
> > >
> > > You said the answer in your question. OpenStack isn't defined as an
> > > integration engine[3]. The definition of OpenStack is whatever it
> > > takes to fulfill our mission[4][5]. I don't mean that as a tautology.
> > > I mean that we've already gone to the effort of defining OpenStack.
> It's
> > > our mission statement. We're all about building a cloud platform upon
> > > which people can run their apps ("cloud-native" or otherwise), so we
> > > write the software needed to do that.
> > >
> > > So where does OpenStack stop and the wider community start? OpenStack
> > > includes the projects needed to fulfill its mission.
> >
> > I'd totally agree with you if OpenStack was developed in a vacuum. But
> > there is a large number of open source projects and libraries that
> > OpenStack needs to fulfill its mission that are not in "OpenStack": they
> > are external open source projects we depend on. Python, MySQL, libvirt,
> > KVM, Ceph, OpenvSwitch, RabbitMQ... We are not asking that those should
> > be included in OpenStack, and we are not NIHing replacements for those
> > in OpenStack either.
> >
> > So it is not as clear-cut as you present it, and you can approach this
> > dependency question from two directions.
> >
> > One is community-centric: "anything produced by our community is
> > OpenStack". If we are missing a lower-level piece to achieve our mission
> > and are developing it ourselves as a result, then it is OpenStack, even
> > if it ends up being a message queue or a database.
> >
> > The other approach is product-centric: "lower-level pieces are OpenStack
> > dependencies, rather than OpenStack itself". If we are missing a
> > lower-level piece to achieve our mission and are developing it as a
> > result, it could be developed on OpenStack infrastructure by members of
> > the OpenStack community but it is not "OpenStack the product", it's an
> > OpenStack *dependency*. It is not governed by the TC, it can use any
> > language and tool deemed necessary.
> >
> > On this second approach, there is the obvious question of where
> > "lower-level" starts, which as you explained above is not really
> > clear-cut. A good litmus test for it could be whenever Python is not
> > enough. If you can't develop it effectively with the language that is
> > currently sufficient for the rest of OpenStack, then developing it as an
> > OpenStack dependency in whatever language is appropriate might be the
> > solution...
> >
> > That is what I mean by 'scope': where does "OpenStack" stop, and where
> > do "OpenStack dependencies" start ? It is a lot easier and a lot less
> > community-costly to allow additional languages in OpenStack dependencies
> > (we already have plenty there).

> [...]
I do like the special casing part. Lets special case the deviation from
Python to those projects that needs it. This whole discussion is not if we
accept language apart from Python or not as we do already.

Why I do like the special casing Swift now and Gnocchi next week rather
than opening this up; purely because I don't want to see in 3 months 7 new
projects joining writing their service and API on node.js because
JavaScript is now generally acceptable language as we don't special case
these special needs (Why should we special case one project if we can't do
that with another). Also I think TripleO was still mainly written in bash
when it joined, we did not need to add bash for officially approved
languages when that happened and no-one tried to convince the community
that we should do more of that.

I'd be more than happy to keep Python as our official development language
and grant/trust TC with the judgement to deviate from that where needed.
Also where possible I'd like to see us staying with the languages that can
be interfaced directly with Python. Don't want to see Perl either just
because one can optimize the processing of the strings superior compared to
Python. Otherwise I'm sure that some point someone comes with the use case
where Python nor Golang is not optimal and we have this discussion again.
Soon enough having full salad of languages listed, used and the movement
between projects becomes more and more difficult for the contributors.

TL;DR Please agree that these tight optimizations are special case and lets
not change our official line that OpenStack is developed in Python apart
from some special cases. ;)

Best,
Erno